Friday, August 31, 2012

Pop Quiz! Paige Johnson- West Forsyth

As I've mentioned before, I have no desire for Finally Friday!  to be a "scores and stats" blog.  The blogosphere is already littered with plenty of sites dedicated to reporting news and scores, and there is no need for another.  As part of my quest to capture the essence of Friday Night (caps intended), Finally Friday! is happy to introduce the "Pop Quiz".  This will be a (hopefully) weekly feature highlighting a student or faculty member from each school participating in my game of the week. 

This week I'm headed to the West Forsyth/Glenn matchup, and caught up with Paige Johnson: student, cheerleader and all-around Wacko.  I'll let her explain:


1)     Identify yourself! Name, school, age and class please!
Paige Johnson, West Forsyth High School, 17, Senior
2)     What is your claim to fame? What do you do? (Clubs, activities, class offices, etc.)
Varsity Cheerleader, President  of West Wackos(spirit club), Editor of school newspaper, Girls Service Club, Spanish Club, Crosby Scholars, National Honor Society, National Dance Honors Society
3)     I grew up in Clemmons, but did not go to West.  What’s so great about West Forsyth, anyway?
The atmosphere is something that can’t really be explained. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly that it takes no time for a new student to really feel apart of West and at “home.” The faculty and staff actually make the effort to get to know you one on one and really work with you to get a wonderful and the full high school experience.
4)     What in the world is a West Wacko?
They are the screaming, cheering, crazy students that go all out for a game, decked out in whatever the theme of the week is. Basically, a student that has amazing school spirit and loves their school. Not to mention, some of the best people in the world!
5)     How did you get into cheerleading?
I started in Middle school when my best friend told me that I should try out. It was a shock to everyone when they found out because I have always played softball my whole life and growing up I was never a real girly girl. But cheerleading is probably one of the toughest things I have ever done and I absolutely love every minute of it.
6)     One Direction or Justin Bieber? Quickly.
Justin Bieber
7)     A lot of (uninformed) folks don’t think of cheering as a sport.  Tell them why it is.  How much do you practice?
For someone to say cheerleading isn’t a sport, they obviously have never tried it. We have a motto that says “athletes lift weights, cheerleaders lift athletes,” and that is exactly right. We work out butts off 3 days a week for 2 hours at a time and then Football games on Fridays. A lot of us workout cheer outside of school as well which is more practice on top of that. Cheerleaders don’t get enough respect for what we do. We are constantly doing something; moving, cheering, stunting, tumbling, anything and everything to get the crowd involved.
8)     Who dreams up the “themes” for the football games, and how do you come to a final decision?
Jordan Standley (fellow cheerleader) and I are the presidents of West Wackos and we determine the themes based off of the school we are playing that week and also the time of year we are in during that game. (Ex. Beach theme was on Aug. 24)
9)     What are your plans after high school? (College, professional ambition, etc.)
My dream is to attend University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill fall of 2013. I would love to be a Carolina student and maybe even a Carolina cheerleader. I will do whatever it takes to make my dream come true.
10) What would you tell a first-time visitor to a West game to look for?
Look for the student section, which is the heart of the spirit. The cheerleaders give the crowd tons of entertainment as well if the football is boring you. (: Dance Team also brings a lot of life to the games. Just take in everything, as much as possible and more importantly, have fun and enjoy the game. Being apart of such a wonderful school is more than anyone can ever explain, it’s amazing! Hope to see you there!

Thank you, Paige, for stepping up for your school (and for being our guinea pig).  I can't wait to get to Clemmons and see the West Wackos in action!


Want to try your hand at the Pop Quiz?  Know someone who should?  Keep checking the blog to see where I'll be next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Leave them here!