Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Finally Friday! Best of 2012



After much careful thought, deliberation and dart-throwing I'm pleased to announce my "Best Of" winners for the 2012 regular season.  I can't reiterate enough how much I enjoyed going to all the different stadiums and meeting the students and student-athletes!  You should all be very proud.  Anyway, here's the list. 

Don't hate.
 

Best Cheer:
  • "Rollercoaster"- BMHS Pit Crew

I had to count only the cheers I'd seen in person, and this one was the most original.  I love this.

Best Venue (Stadium):
  • Palmer Field- North Davidson


This one is tough, because I love going to Davie so much.  North Davidson wins by a nose.  It must be the end zone seating.

Best Marching Band:
  • Reagan
I have video of all three marching bands' halftime performance up on my YouTube page.  They are all phenomenal.  In the end, Reagan's arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner was the tipping point. 
  

  
Best Player:
  • Garrison Duncan- East Forsyth


Mr. Duncan has a lot of weapons, but he is the captain of the ship.  He was also very quick to give credit to his teammates when we talked (as did the other candidates).  However, the other nominees don't necessarily carry the weight that he's had to this season.  Shouldering state championship hopes and expectations can be a heavy burden.


Best Team Entrance:
  • Reagan- the Hill


I was all set to give this to North Davidson when I visited Reagan.  I stood with the students at the bottom of the hill, and could see the team gather in the darkness up at the top.  I thought that it was the coolest thing I saw all season.

Best Student Section (Tie):
  • The BMHS Pit Crew
  • Tabor City




Before y'all start cussing me out, listen to my reasons.  It's very simple.  When I visited Bishop and Tabor, both schools got blown out.  Instead of quieting down, both student sections got louder.  As a matter of fact, the Tabor City group even stayed loud on the road at Davie.  I didn't see that anywhere else.  Oh, and the BMHS Pit Crew, though small in number, are as loud as any section I heard all year.

Best-Run, Most Organized Student Section (Tie)
  • Davie Crazies
  • The East Superfans



These guys tailgate and travel, and boy do they travel in great numbers.  Themes are communicated well in advance, and they generate great participation.

Best Cheerleaders (hoo, boy. I shouldn't even go here.  Cheering is serious here in the Tre Fo'.)
  • North Davidson


Again, a very tough call.  It could have gone to Davie as well.

Best Theme
  • Pink-Out/Community Night- North Davidson
I thought this was great because it wasn't just the students decked out.  North Davidson PA announcer Kip Childress even was sporting some pink and black.  It was very cool, and my favorite theme.

Best Press Box
  • Reagan


They kept me entertained when the game did not.  And they had barbecue and cupcakes.

Best Local Media Coverage
Greg and Stratton do yeoman's work for their coverage of North Davidson athletics.  Like everyone else, they were very supportive of this blog and very accommodating to me.

Now for two additions to the mix:

Best Underclassman:
  • Cade Carney- QB, Davie


I honestly was shocked in the press box when I found out he was a Freshman.  Having to move to QB during the season for this squad is an impressive feat.  That Shy Tuttle at ND is pretty good, too.  :)

Best Game Atmosphere
  • War Eagle Stadium- Davie vs. North Davidson


All I can say is, "Thank you for that."  I've spent the season searching for a place that felt like football.  Well, that game was IT.  Championship on the line, packed house, great fans...what else do you need?

Congratulations to the winners.  Did I forget anything?  Do you want to plead your case?  Go straight to the "Comments" section and let me know!

1 comment:

  1. North Davidson entrance was way better are you kidding me I don't even go to North and I believe that... Everything about the Atmosphere there is great and I'm from Porter Ridge come on now...

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Leave them here!