Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pop Quiz! Bailey Tyner- R.J. Reynolds High School

When I started this blog, I honestly never expected the kind of reception this blog has received so far.  I'm grateful to the administrators, students and student-athletes who are making this endeavor a lot of fun.  One such source of help is Reynolds AD Brad Fisher, who responded to my Twitter solicitation for Pop Quiz contestants in short order.  He assured me he would get a football player to participate (which, quite frankly, is cool because they've got bigger things to do this week). 

Imagine my surprise when my inbox received an email from one Bailey Tyner, the starting quarterback for the Demons.  He was ready and willing to do the Pop Quiz, and did a great job.  See for yourself:



1)     Identify yourself! Name, school, age and class please!
My name is Bailey Tyner, I go to Reynolds High School and I'm in the class of 2014.

2)     What is your claim to fame? What do you do? (Sports, clubs, class offices, etc.) 
I play football and baseball at Reynolds. I'm the varsity quarterback for the Demons and I'm also in Key Club, FCA and Spanish club.

3)     I grew up with a poster of Terry Bradshaw on my wall.  What quarterbacks/athletes are on your wall?  Why?
I always looked up to Nomar Garciaparra, who played for my favorite baseball team, the Red Sox. For football, Drew Brees is who I've looked up to since I was a kid. I looked up to him because he's not the biggest quarterback, but he's a winner, he's a great overall quarterback, he's a great leader and is a role model in his community. I also really like Cam Newton, he has all the confidence in the world and that's important for a quarterback.

4)     So, I watched some of your highlight videos.  How long have you been playing quarterback?  When did you know that the QB position was what you wanted to play?
I've been playing quarterback since Pop Warner for the South Fork Panthers. Going into my first season of football, I actually started out at Wide Receiver for the first game. After that first game the coach switched me to Quarterback, and since that day I knew that this was the position I wanted to play.

5)     One Direction or Justin Bieber?  Seriously.  Just between us. Nobody will know.
      Justin Bieber, definitely.   Not a big fan but I'd pick him over One Direction every time.
Ed. Note:  Big-time answer for Mr. Quarterback here…I expected “neither” for an answer.  Bonus points.

6)     Your high school is a registered historical landmark.  Apart from that, what makes Reynolds High School a special place?
The students, staff, clubs, athletic programs and the community are just a few of the things that make this school so special. There isn't a school in Forsyth County that is like Reynolds. The mixture of great academics, great art program, athletics and the diversity of the school are special. I'm very glad I go to this school and I'm proud to be a Demon.

7)     There’s a rumor of a “Gold-Out” at the stadium Friday night.  How much energy do the players get from the Reynolds Rowdies?
It definitely helps up get pumped up, we have a good group of Rowdies every year and this year isn't any different.

8)     What are your plans after high school? (College, professional ambition, etc.)
I want to play college football somewhere, so that's my main goal. If for some reason that doesn't work out, I still will go to college, and I want to major in Sports Management or Sports Medicine. Everybody wants to play professional sports, but I'd also want to be an athletic trainer, or work in the business side of sports or maybe even coach. My Dad's a graphic designer and I've got some interest in that, too.          
                                     
9)     If you couldn’t be a football player, what sport or activity would you choose?
      Probably just stick to baseball, which I've been playing since I was 4. I used to play the drums so I might pick that up again.

10) I’ll be there Friday against East.  Tell me what I shouldn’t miss about the experience.  What would you tell a first-time visitor to a Reynolds game to look for?
      Good thing you're going to be at this game because it's going to be an exciting one. Big games at DTS are always can't miss games. You're not going to want to miss a thing on Friday. The game time environment makes you want to go out on the field and strap up. You get into the game and it's just a great place to be on a Friday night. I'd tell a first-time visitor to look for our band which is good, our crazy rowdies who keep everybody pumped up,  two classy programs out on the field, great sportsmanship, great talent on both teams, an awesome game environment, amazing fans and to expect a great football game.
I tell you what, I'm starting to love this gig.  I'm so frustrated with hearing about the "sad state of our young people".  Each of our Pop Quiz contestants have multiple activities and aren't identified by one specific thing.  I'm looking forward to meeting more of the Triad's finest!

Want to take the Pop Quiz? Know someone who should?  Stay tuned to the blog to find out where we'll be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Leave them here!