Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pop Quiz! Hannah Forbes- Glenn High

Because of my documented navigational skills, I arrived in Kernersville last night with a laundry list of things to accomplish.  However, my priority was to find a worthy subject to represent Glenn High in a Pop Quiz.  I figured it was only fair, since Paige Johnson of West just knocked hers out of the park and represented her school extremely well.  So, at halftime I hustled down from the press box to the toga-clad mass of Glenn students and asked a simple question:

"Who's running this show?"

After some stammering, hemming and hawwing multiple voices started crying "Hannah, Hannah, Hannah."  I think the poor soul thought she was in trouble.  After I explained what the Pop Quiz was all about, she readily agreed.  She even called me "Sir".  I knew immediately that this would be good.  She didn't disappoint.

To put it in the dialect of my rural Southern ancestors, the girl done BROUGHT IT.  Ladies and gentlemen, Hannah Forbes! 

1)     Identify yourself! Name, school, age and class please!
Hannah Forbes, Glenn High School, 17, and Senior!

2)     What is your claim to fame? What do you do? (Clubs, activities, class offices, etc.)
I play volleyball and soccer, as well as swim for Glenn. I also am secretary of the Leo Club, and participate in Key Club, Elite Ladies, National Honor Society, and Academic Team.

3)     Tell me about Glenn High.  What makes it special to you?
Glenn is special to me mostly because of the people. We are kind of a melting pot because we’ve got so many different types of people and I think it makes for a pretty unique bunch. For the most part, the students and staff are really caring and quick to reach out and offer a helping hand. Additionally, I love the school itself. A lot of renovations or projects have been completed since my freshman year. It has been really cool to the see the positive changes. Whenever people ask me where I go, I’m always proud to say Glenn High School.

4)     I pulled up to the game tonight and you and your classmates are all wearing Togas…um, so what other themes has the student body done, and who comes up with them?
Ha-Ha! This season, the themes we have done thus far are orange and blue tie-dye and neon night. In previous years we have done everything from Indian night (when we play the Southwest Cowboys) to 80’s night.  Normally the seniors discuss what theme we should do each week and we have a twitter (@GHS-hooligans) that we post them on!

5)     Complete this sentence:  This season, I want our football team to beat _________ more than anything.
EAST FORSYTH…of course!

6)     Quick, off the top of your head: One Direction or Justin Bieber?
Hmm…One Direction!

7)     Trash talk time…give me three reasons your school is better all-around than East Forsyth.
1)     Sportsmanship. Last year during football season, a prank war between East and Glenn got pretty dirty. Even though Glenn was not completely innocent, no one from Glenn did permanent and expensive damage to any part of East Forsyth. Also, having played volleyball and soccer against East I’ve learned…Eagles and their Eagle parents can be pretty mean sometimes!
2)     Academics. I feel like is East is constantly ONLY talking about their sports teams. For example, how good their football team is, or the baseball team, the basketball team or their bowling team. You get my point. The reality is there is so much more to high school than just sports. Glenn has so much talent in our chorus, band, drama department, ROTC, dance movement, as well as a ton of kids with academic talent and a great desire to learn. Granted, I’ve obviously never taken a class at East Forsyth, but at Glenn I have never had a bad teacher. Last year as the dates of AP Exams were drawing closer and closer, all of my AP teachers either came in early or stayed late to hold review sessions for their students. This dedication is shown by all teachers, not just those that teach AP courses. Like I said earlier, the faculty at Glenn really does care about each and every student.
3)     Parking. If you’ve ever been to East, you know what a pain it is that after you finally find the school, tucked amidst a winding road and multiple entrances, you have to park on the top of a hill and walk down to the school or stadium. An added bonus is if you get to make the trek in the rain!
4)     I’m sorry but I came up with one more reason, and I think it’s a pretty big one. Does East Forsyth have its own water tower? ;)

8)     Back to the togas.  You guys wore togas on the hottest night of the season so far.  I take it there was no Plan B?
It’s funny that you ask this question, after the game I mentioned to some other students that toga night may be one of the worst ideas we’ve had in a while. By halftime I was drenched in sweat, and my toga was not cooperating. I was beginning to wish we would have gone with the “Scuba Night” theme proposed by fellow senior Cary Shields (Even though it was ridiculous and probably would have been difficult to execute.) It wasn’t until everyone started getting ready for the game that we realized no one really knew how to make a decent toga, but by then it was too late to change the theme. Nonetheless, we all had a good time and a good turnout!

9)     What are your plans after high school? (College, professional ambition, etc.)
I’m not exactly sure where I want to go to school next year but some possibilities are Syracuse University, UNCW, and Carolina. Even though it has changed multiple times throughout high school, I’ve narrowed my major down to three options: Criminology, Communications, or Environmental Science. No matter what profession I end up choosing, I just really hope that I will be helping people and learning new things. I want to LOVE what I do, no matter how long I do it for.

10)  Finally, what would you tell a first-time visitor to a Glenn football game to look for?
I would tell a first-time visitor to look for a little bit of everything. Our drum line performs towards the end of halftime, and they always put a smile on my face, as does the band and dance team!  The cheerleaders never stop working hard doing stunts or cheers to get the crowd involved. Additionally, it’s safe to say if you go to a Glenn football game you have to give the Bobcat a high-five, he’s always around.  The student section is a great place if you’re looking for crazy outfits and even crazier people wearing them! Most importantly however, I would tell someone to buy a cold drink and a hot dog and find a good spot in the stands to watch some of the game. Our football boys work really hard all summer long and continue that hard work every Friday night. They deserve to have us cheering them on whether we are winning or losing.

Well, that was awesome.  Even though I'd be concerned about firing up the undefeated Eagles even more, I admire the fearlessness and confidence!  Thank you, Hannah!

As you can see, our first two Pop Quiz participants are excellent representatives of their school.  Paige and Hannah's answers were very thoughtful and well-written, and I appreciate the effort.  Now, ladies, please stay clear of Senioritis so I can brag on you and say "I met them when..."!

Want to participate in the Pop Quiz?  Know someone who should?  Check back often to see where I'll be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Leave them here!